Doc Tesseract

The adventures of Greg Silverman, retail industry employee, prospective college student and superhero.

Thursday, May 26, 2005

The Big Deal

I went out on patrol last night; Quint didn't tell me not to, so I thought it was okay. I used the sigil, asked him to talk to me in person, and he landed on City Hall five minutes later. "Look, Quint," I said, "thank you for everything, but I think I'm ready to go back to normal."

"Define 'normal'," he said

"'Normal' as in 'fighting real bad guys again' normal."

"Even after your encounter with El Hechicero?"

Finally, a name for Abbot Creepy. "Yeah. I mean, I'm new, I screwed up, so what?"

Quint sighed. "The problem is, Doc... I have never had a sidekick before. I have never felt the need for companionship. As I told you before, I am watching over you because Lady Liberty asked me to. And after the encounter, I panicked. I was afraid that if I kept you by my side, worse things would befall you." He paused, and looked down at the ground. "I apologize."

Holy flaming crap. Did I just get the Master of the Five Elements, the man who put Mr. Mephastophilis in a thaumic chokehold, to show humility? "It's okay, Quint," I said. "Look, I'm a big kid. I know this job isn't sunshine and daisies. So I got hurt. So? It wasn't really serious, thanks to your mojo, and now I've learned to watch my back around creepy gangbanging cultists. What do you say we hit the streets again? For old times' sake?"

G-d help me, Quint smiled. "Thank you for your honesty," he said. "Come with me. I hear the Red King's gotten some drugs in that induce hallucinations by making people access the Dreamtime. I don't want anyone getting eaten by their manifest content."

Guess we're back on even terms now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home