Doc Tesseract

The adventures of Greg Silverman, retail industry employee, prospective college student and superhero.

Saturday, July 23, 2005

Dragon Attack!, Part 2

So, after getting into costume and waiting for a few minutes, I ported back to outside Judy's apartment building. I heard a voice inside my head saying, Meet us on the roof, so I ported up there, only to find Punch and Judy waiting.

"What took you so long?" she asked.

"What, you wanted me to be standing on the street corner, giving away your secret identity?" I said back.

"Eh. If anyone notices, I'll just say I'm dating you. I mean, it's kinda true."

Dating me, huh? I've gotta say, I was caught off guard there. Then I said, "You ready?"

"Let's go," she said.

I ported us to 532 Delmar St. It was supposed to be an apartment building, but it looked like a war zone. Windows were shattered, and the door was hanging off its hinges.

"God, what happened here?" said Punch.

"Magical war." Quint stepped out of the building. "Maria's not exactly one to go without a fight."

"Anyone else hurt?" I asked.

"No. Maria knew what was going on, so she cast a sleeping spell on the building so that no one else would venture out. The other tenants are still in the land of Nod." He paused. "Judy, if you could..."

"I'm coming," she said. She walked into the building; Punch and I followed. We ended up on the second floor, in Maria's apartment. It looked like a bomb had gone off in a New Age shop: singed Tarot cards, broken crystal, a pendulum imbedded in the far wall. Judy sat in the center of the room, legs crossed, and closed her eyes.

"I'm gonna need some quiet," she said. "If you could just empty your minds for a minute, that'd be great."

I tried to keep my mind a blank, which is kinda difficult when you're standing in the wreckage of a violent crime. After a few minutes, Judy said, "Okay, I think I've got her presence. Now comes the hard part." She turned to Punch and me. "Promise me that whatever happens, you won't disturb me?"

Odd question. "Okay," I said.

"Sure, Alice," said Punch.

Judy closed her eyes again, then went limp and fell on her back. She stayed like that for about ten minutes; every so often, her body would convulse, and she gasped once or twice. I wanted to stop it, but I knew that she probably knew best.

After those long ten minutes, Judy came to. "Found her," she said weakly. "12th and Pearl. And we're gonna need backup."

"Why?" I asked.

"The egg's about to hatch."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home