Doc Tesseract

The adventures of Greg Silverman, retail industry employee, prospective college student and superhero.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Meet the New Boss

So, I show up on City Hall last night, only to find Quint waiting for me. Punch and Judy are absent.

"Hello again, Doc," says Quint. "So, how long is it until college?"

"Two weeks," I say. "It's both exhilirating and somewhat queasy-making."

"I know the feeling," he says, laughing.

"So, uh... where are Punch and Judy?"

"Out patrolling with Lady Liberty. I thought it would be best if you were to do this by yourself."

"What do you mean?"

"I have someone I would like you to meet, someone you will undoubtedly aid you when you are in Boston."

"Can I come down now?" I hear from above me. I look up to see Hierophant floating in mid-air. "Jesus, Todd, you're the biggest drama queen I've ever met, and I've got a church full of fags."

"Go ahead, Frank," he says. With that, Hierophant floats down to the roof and touches ground. He's wearing his usual outfit: a white linen garment with a hood pulled over his head, black buccaneer boots and folded gloves, and, to top it all off, a red cassock draped over his chest.

"Glad to see you again, Greg," he says. "How've things been going?"

"Oh, you know... dragons, giant robots, a few crises of faith, stuff like that."

"And what would a superhero be without crises of faith? You're definitely in your element." He pauses. "Anyway, Todd called me up a few days ago and told me about a job offer. You tell him, Todd."

"Doc," says Quint, "Frank will be looking over you while you're at college."

"Ah," I say. "So I'm a sidekick again."

"Hey, who said anything about 'sidekick'?" Frank says. "Trust me, Greg, I'm not gonna be your overbearing, slightly-homoerotic mentor. No offense, Todd."

"None worth minding."

"Look, from what Todd's told me, you've really come into your own this summer. Hell, I know I didn't have to deal with a demon, a dragon, a giant robot, and two terrorists my first three months, and I turned out okay. So, Greg, what Todd and I are saying is... if you need your space, then take it. Just know that if you need any help, I'll be there. Plus, I kinda know the area, so you can ask me where all the good cheap eats are."

I'm kinda flattered. "Thanks, Frank," I say. "I'll keep that in mind."

"Good. Hey, what do you say to a bit of old-fashioned footwork? Well, okay, what we do probably goes against 'old-fashioned' in every conceivable manner, but how about it?"

With that, we head out on patrol. We end up stopping a robbery in Juniata Park and a carjacking in Chinatown. All the while, I find out a bit more about Frank. He's in the Metropolitan Community Church, and he's been Reverend at the Boston MCC since the mid-'70s. He's been with his husband, Nick, for 27 years. He won't tell me anything about how he got his powers, though; when I ask him, he says, "All I'm saying is, G-d works in some very fucked-up ways." At the end of the night, he stops by his hotel room and grabs his luggage, and I end up giving him a "ride" back to Boston.

So, I've graduated from needing a partner to needing a lifeguard. Still, it's good to know I'll have someone else to turn to if things get hoary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home