Doc Tesseract

The adventures of Greg Silverman, retail industry employee, prospective college student and superhero.

Sunday, August 14, 2005

A Reconciliation and a Breakup

Alice just came over. She wasn't in costume, of course.

"Go away," I said when she came to the door.

"Nothing doing," she said. "I'm staying here until you let me in."

"I'm glad to see you give a damn about me now," I said. "What makes you think I won't just port you out of here?"

"First of all, Greg, were you to port me out of here back to Bryn Mawr, or to Istanbul, or even to Mars, I'd keep coming back until you let me in and talk," she said. "Second of all, I'm a telepath, remember? And I don't hear anything of the sort up in there."

I relented. "Come on in," I said. She sat on the bed and turned to face me.

"Greg, you have to understand," she said, "we did what he thought was best."

"Well, you thought wrong," I said. I could feel myself getting angry. "What would have been best would have been telling me what happened. What would have been best would have been letting me prepare for the fact that I was picked to be savoir of this damn world. That would have been best."

"Greg, we honestly didn't know how you would handle it," she said.

Now I was getting angry. "Oh, c'mon!" I said. "Like I'm some kind of coward who shits his pants whenever anyone pulls a gun on me? You've been by my side throughout a lot of this, Alice. You saw me take down bank robbers, a terrorist-- remember when I saved your ass from the giant robot? So don't give me that, 'Oh, poor, pitiful Greg, he might not be strong enough' crap!" I calmed down. "I'm sorry," I told her. "I'm just a little..."

"I know," she said. "But you have to understand: whoever did this to you thought the same way. Lady Liberty told us all about it. Remember what triggered the recollection? You took down Catalyst all by yourself, Greg. That's probably what the visitors wanted: for you to be strong enough to handle your role."

"So you didn't think differently?" I asked.

"I did, Greg. I wanted to tell you everything. But, I thought... I thought it would be better to wait." She looked down. "Can you forgive me?"

I thought a minute. "Yes," I said. "Yes, I can. But... I need to talk about our relationship."

Alice said, "I knew you'd want to talk about that."

I said, "I want us to still be friends. I want that a lot. But, after what happened... I just don't think we could confide in each other enough for a proper relationship. Besides, we'll be going our separate ways in a few weeks. And even if we did keep it, what after that? You want to go to Broadway, I want to go to Hollywood. I think we should just cut it off now, and just... respect what he have. Is that okay?"

Alice said, "Okay." She put out her hand. "Shake on it?"

I took it. "Of course."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home