Doc Tesseract

The adventures of Greg Silverman, retail industry employee, prospective college student and superhero.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Beantown or Bust, Part 1

Sorry about the lack of posts. I finally figured out the IP network here at Williamson.

So, we arrived Saturday afternoon. We checked into the Fairmont Copley Plaza, dumped our bags, then went exploring. Over the weekend, Mom, who'd gone to Harvard back in the day, gave me a crash course in Boston. We saw Downtown Crossing, Fanueil Hall, Harvard Square, Newbury St., the Public Gardens, and Fenway. We ate out a lot, so that I'd know where to take my friends. Bartley's Burger Cottage in Harvard is definitely on the list, by the way.

On Monday, there was much crying and back pain as we lugged my baggage up to the ninth floor of Albrecht Hall. My roommate, Tom, however, had moved in on Sunday (moving was alphabetical; damn that "S"), so it went along more smoothly than expected. My parents headed back to the Copley when all was done, telling me they'd be in Boston for a few more days in case I felt lonely. Before they left, though, Dad whispered, "And if you ever need to come home... well, you know..." Great; it's bad enough when I abuse my powers, but now my parents are doing it.

After they left, I got to know Tom better. He's from Georgia ("No Deliverance jokes, I've heard them all"), and he's pursuing a major in journalism. We went down to dinner together, and took part in the big "Thank you for choosing us over BU" welcome speech. After that was over, we went back to the dorm, where Tom, who'd been up since five, decided to go back to bed early.

Bingo, I thought. As soon as I was sure he was asleep (speaking of which, I think I'd better buy some earplugs), I ported home and got into costume.

Okay, Frank, I thought, let's see what your city's like.